Friday, August 21, 2009

Things that make me Angry Face: Movie Remakes


Yes, you heard right, and I KNOW most of you can relate. I absolutely hate, hate, HATE movie remakes. I know that this day and age we have such better technology, but that doesn't mean that you need to take cheesy, campy movies that we all loved as children, and turn them into something akin to monkeys dancing in front of a green screen.

Example. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Watching it was like eating a bowl full of earwigs and toothpaste. I understand that yes, Johnny Depp is sooo hot right now, but taking a classic movie with amazingly talented actors, and remaking it with people who are only famous for being a "name brand," doesn't exactly flow very well. When I first saw the original, it scared me. It was darkly delicious and slyly funny at the same time. The remake however, was ghastly kitschy, obnoxiously stupid, and just not worth the film. Maybe it's because I already can't stand Tim Burton and his Hot Topicesque style. Remaking a movie just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Even if you love Mr. Depp, and his hideously thin and wane facial hair, you can't honestly think he made a good Willy Wonka.

Moving on from the Fail Wonka, another one that ended up in the shitter, Land of the Lost. Maybe because it was originally a TV show, and because they chose to use Will Ferrell as the main character, that it failed so badly. To start, I hate Will Ferrell, has he actually ever been in a really funny movie? I can't think of one. Has he been in a bad movie? I can name dozens. Maybe it would have been better if they had stuck to the original plot, instead of turning it into a dinosaur movie with poop jokes. I didn't see it, but why the hell would I want to? Every movie that I see, that has Will Ferrell, is a deal breaker, sorry, but I'll never see it.

And getting near the end, remakes that haven't come out yet, but will more than likely ruin the originals forever...

The Karate Kid

Footloose

Top Gun

Weird Science

My Fair Lady
Short Circut

The Evil Dead


And the list goes on. But I swear, if they remake
The Goonies, it's going down. At least they're getting Sam Raimi to remake his own movie. It's not bad to take something to try and make it better, but when it comes to movies, it's almost like playing with fire, and more often than not, someone is going to get burned. I won't say I hate every remake out there, Dawn of the Dead was still pretty good, but most I won't even bother with, and if I were to list every remake that I hate, we'd be here all day.


Lovingly, Zombie Julie >:(

No comments:

Post a Comment